Friday, August 5, 2016

Gonna Make Ya Sweat!

Last night I found the Lyme's patient's equivalent to the Holy Grail: SLEEP. Sleep is very elusive for us. Between the central nervous system misfiring, muscle cramps/twitching, and waking to stumble to the bathroom every couple of hours after a day's worth of anti-inflammatories and detox herbs...we just don't sleep. I slept like a hibernating bear last night, and if it wasn't for 3 cats who are convinced they are starving I would probably still be asleep right now.

In the past, I have used an Infrared Sauna to detox; I either went to a spa or natural health clinic that offered the service. I gravitated back to this therapy a few months before I discovered the underlying cause for my failing health. I was spending a chunk of change to go to a day spa every week...then it dawned on me that I could just buy my own! I ordered an affordable infrared sauna tent off of Amazon. Lo and behold it appeared at my front door pretty much the same day I discovered the name of the beast within. I now enjoy this therapy weekly, right here in the comfort of my own home.
This little beauty is portable so it can be broken down and installed in less than 5 minutes. It has a stadium seat inside, which I line with a towel. There is a brace inside the front section so it doesn't fall inward when assembled. I dry brush my skin while I wait for it to heat up. Then I just sit in my tent, stick my head out the hole, zip it up from the inside, and chill for up to an hour. Actually, I don't chill....I SWEAT and I sweat a lot! It heats up to 150 degrees and forces the toxins right out of you. To prevent boredom (and my tinnitus driving me cray in the silence) I will use this time to catch up on that week's episode of Master Chef on Hulu. Or I will read. Or pray.

For those of you looking to add to your Lyme protocol, or anyone who wants a gentle yet powerful detox, I cannot recommend this therapy enough. If you have the room in your home and your budget for a stationery sauna, you can purchase a unit for around $1000 and upwards depending on the size. This is next on my list of things to invest in for my health. And it is an investment, a monetary as well as emotional one as this condition will literally bring you to your knees most days.


I got in my little personal oasis about an hour before going to bed last night. Rinsed the toxins off my skin in a lukewarm shower afterward, slathered a mix of frankincense and lavender on my skin when I got out. Took 2 of my natural muscle relaxers and crawled between my 1200 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. Yes, I slept and I slept hard! I needed the rest as I have had quite a challenging week.

As always, if I can be of any help or offer any advice please let me know! I am also open to learning about additional protocols from other Lyme's sufferers as let's face it...there is no one answer to this often perplexing condition. God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment